The Validation of Experience (VOE) Assessment is the final formal step in earning the CPHR designation.
Effective July 2020, the following are the requirements for the Validation of Experience Assessment.
Experience has always been an integral component in achieving the CPHR designation. The requirements to pass the VOE are:
- 3 or 8 years of work experience with the majority, 51% or more, being work in HR at the Applied HR and Foundational HR levels. Experience must be obtained within the past 10 or 15 years from the VOE submission deadline. The number of years required is based on the level of education as listed below:
||HR Experience Required
||3 years work experience with the majority, 51% or more, being work in HR is required and includes:
- a minimum of 2 years applied HR experience,
- a maximum of 1 year foundational HR experience
- Within the last 10 years
||8 years work experience with the majority, 51% or more, being work in HR is required and includes:
- a minimum of 5 years applied HR experience,
- a maximum of 3 years foundational HR experience
- within the last 15 years
- Applicants must demonstrate that their experience is at the Applied HR level in a minimum of 12 of the 44 functional competencies in
the Knowledge Areas and a minimum of 3 of the 5 Enabling Competencies
- Membership in good standing with CPHR Nova Scotia
- Agree to abide by the CPHR Nova Scotia's Code of Ethics & Standards of Professional Conduct
CPHR Candidates have 10 years to complete the VOE after passing the National Knowledge Exam (NKE) or NKE Waiver.
Candidates can work toward the Experience Requirement in any sector of the economy: industry, government, public practice, professional associations, education, healthcare, or not-for-profits – essentially anywhere that has a human resources function.
The nine (9) HR Functional Knowledge areas are
- Professional Practice
- Workforce Planning and Talent Management
- Labour and Employment Relations
- Total Rewards
- Learning and Development
- Health, Wellness, and Safe Workplace
- Human Resources Metrics, Reporting, and Financial Management
For a complete list of functional competencies within each HR Functional Knowledge area, please refer to the CPHR Competency Framework and the CPHR Competency Framework Classification System
Validation of Experience (VOE) Handbook
It is strongly encouraged that the VOE Handbook is read before one
starts to complete their VOE Application.
View CPHR Nova Scotia's Validation of Experience Handbook
Prior to starting your VOE Application, ensure you have requested original transcripts
be sent directly to CPHR Nova Scotia from your educational institution. This can be done after passing the NKE or well in advance of
starting the Application.
Education received outside Canada needs to be assessed through one of these organizations:
Validation of Experience (VOE) Process
Once you have passed the National Knowledge Exam (NKE) or received approval for the NKE Waiver and satisfied the educational requirements, you are eligible to submit documentation of your experience for assessment.
There are 2 submission periods annually:
The next submission period will be announced in the new year.
- $175 CPHR Validation of Experience Application Fee
Payable the first time a VOE form is submitted for review
- $375 CPHR Validation of Experience Assessment Completion Fee
Payable upon successful completion of the experience requirement
Notification of Receipt of Submission & Results
Applicants will be notified by CPHR Nova Scotia upon the receipt of their assessment via email.
Applicants will be notified of the results of their VOE Application within 8 weeks from the submission deadline. Unsuccessful applications will be notified of gaps in their experience assessment and options available to them. There is no limit to the number of times an individual may apply.