We are the exclusive granting body in Nova Scotia for the nationally recognized Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) designation.
There are six paths to the Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR) designation. To earn the CPHR designation, you must maintain an active membership with CPHR Nova Scotia for the full course of the CPHR path.
Path 1: Degree
Path 2: Non-Degree
Path 3: Accredited
- Bachelor degree in any field or discipline PLUS
- CPHR Nova Scotia accredited degree/diploma program in Human Resources from one of the schools that satisfies the professional competencies PLUS
- Three years of professional-level HR experience within the past 10 years.
Please note: To apply for certification through Path 3, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request the NKE Waiver Application. For more information visit: Accredited degree/diploma.
CPHR Canada and the member associations, including CPHR Nova Scotia, are constantly reviewing and accrediting post-secondary programs in each region. For a full list of accredited post-secondary schools across Canada, please refer to cphr.ca.
Path 4: Executive
- Bachelor degree in any field or discipline
Diploma in an HR program
You are required to submit proof that you hold a minimum of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited Canadian college or university or the equivalent from a non-Canadian institution. If you received your degree within Canada, you will need to contact the university's registry and have your transcript sent directly to:
CPHR Nova Scotia
84 Chain Lake Drive Suite 103
Halifax, NS B3S 1A2
2. Ten (10) years Professional HR Related Experience
- Canadian experience is not required
3. Hold or have held an executive role.
For more information on the Executive Level Professional Experience requirement, click here
To apply for certification through Path 4, please contact the CPHR registrar.
- Inter-provincial transfer of a CPHR (or alternate designation) holder in good standing of another province deemed to be substantially equivalent or greater than CPHR Nova Scotia certification requirements.
Path 6: International
- Recognition of a CPHR equivalent designation holder in good standing of another jurisdiction with whom CPHR Nova Scotia or CPHR Canada enjoys a Mutual Recognition Agreement or is deemed to be substantially equivalent or greater than CPHR Nova Scotia certification requirements.
- Recognition of a CPHR equivalent designation holder in good standing of another jurisdiction with whom CPHR Nova Scotia approves as to be substantially equivalent or greater than CPHR Nova Scotia certification requirements.
To apply for certification through Path 5, please contact the CPHR registrar.
Questions? Please contact the CPHR registrar.
Important note: Individuals obtain/retain the CPHR in the province in which they work. If an individual is not working in Nova Scotia, they should be pursuing the CPHR in the province where they are working. In cases where individuals work in more than one province, they may apply to have their CPHR recognized in more than one province.